Monday, December 29, 2008

Constipation

29th December 2008

It has been a rough night and morning. Its funny how being a mother, you learn to differentiate the cries your baby makes, sometimes. Amellia had a rough time sleeping. She was grunting and tsk-ing all night which kept us awake. I knew it was her tummy. She hadn't pooped the whole day so I sensed it could be constipation. She's had constipation before but this one was the worst. I breastfed her all morning and she hasn't had a bottle of formula milk since last night. By lunchtime she was crying in pain, the worst crying I've ever heard come from her. Alhamdullillah, after alot of support from her mummy and daddy telling her to push hard, she finally pooped and she seemed so relieved after that. If she's ever constipated again, I must try these methods;

1) Giving Baby Gripe water (though I've heard Infacol is better)
2) Give baby a bottle of honey water
3) Bath baby in warm water (with the water level above the naval)
4) Massage baby's tummy using fingers pushing from belly button outwards.
5) Move baby's legs in a circular motion (as if riding a bike)
6) Chinese remedy suggested by Auntie Mama (can only be used when she's a bit older)

Personally, I think honey water after every bottle feed should do the trick to prevent constipation.

Three days ago, with the sedekah given by family members I went to mothercare and bought a baby carrier. The price was reduced from B$399 to B$199. It seemed like a good bargain and I needed a reliable & safe carrier so I decided to spoil baby and buy it for her. Its actually useful for me as I can be my independent self, go out, drive to the shops and not worry about baby in the moses basket in the back seat. That same day, I went out with Amellia and we went to Mothercare. It was so easy strapping her in and attending to her while driving. I believe every mother should have one of these.


On Sunday, we all gathered at mums place for a belated christmas lunch. The turkey and mashed potatoes was heaven. Amellia spent the day in a happy mood and was a good girl throughout the whole time we were there.

As for Amellia's progress, she's getting bigger. Her romper suits that her Auntie Mama bought for her are beginning to fit, but still a tad bit big. She's now more curious than ever. Her eyes are all over the place, taking in the surroundings. One thing that everyone says when they hold her is that she seems to be very strong. She loves to lift her head up to have a nose around. What really amazes me is how she looks at her daddy. She looks at him so lovingly and gazes at him like he's her first love or something. Her eyes constantly follow him around.

We've finally bought her cupboard which will be delivered after new years. Maybe once that arrives, it will get me cracking on finishing up on the painting.


No comments: